This week’s #MakeoverMonday was themed in honour of St Patrick’s day. The data provided showed the sales of Irish whiskey in countries throughout the world.
What works well
- The countries have been sorted into groups, making it easy to see trends by regions
- There’s not much unnecessary clutter
- Colours are distinct and stand out from one another
What could be improved
- No sense of context of the sales. I can see that sales in North America have doubled, but are there more sales in North America overall?
- Title is somewhat irrelevant
- A lot of empty space on the graph, could be used for legend or annotations
What I did
- I focused my Viz on the huge sales increase in the United States versus sales everywhere else
- I decided to use a graph of sales by year, rather than growth, as I think it’s easy to see what the trend in growth is (at least in the U.S.)
- Used a clear (but lighthearted) title to set the tone of the viz.
- Included a few lines underneath the title, highlighting a few numbers and emphasising the point I was trying to make
- Made a custom colour palette of greens, in honour of St Patrick’s day
Fairly happy with this week’s effort, my only concern is that using an area graph instead of a line graph makes it look like cumulative sales, rather than sales by year.